View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #18
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Utah Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I assume you are looking for a park with hookups. A few years ago, we stayed at the Mountain Valley RV Park in Heber City, Utah. https://mountainvalleyrv.com/

It was a vey nice place. Heber City is on the east side of the Wasatch Mountains; a beautiful area with a lot of things to do. April/May will be between the winter and summer activities, so do a little research. Heber is close enough to Salt Lake (30 minutes) to take advantage of any city stuff you want, but far enough to be out of the city. We spend time in SLC because my daughter lives there, but too much "city" for me.

Any place in the valley between Coalville and Heber would be a great base camp and just off I-80 as you come in from SD.
I live in Heber and can vouch for the Mountain Valley RV Park. It's one of the nicest campgrounds I've ever seen. Actually store my Monty just down the road from there. There's an adults only side and family side. Nice pools. Heber in late April could still be cold at night and there's not too much to do right now. COVID and all. Ski resorts usually close around Easter. It's a beautiful, peaceful place - great mountain views. Provo Canyon - close by is a nice drive. Warning - Once you visit the Heber Valley, You'll never leave. Made that mistake in 2003 and I've never left. For day trips - there's Salt Lake with the normal tourist stuff. To the east there's Flaming Gorge (beautiful) and Dinosaur National Monument, about 2-3 hours drive. There's a pretty nice KOA in Vernal that isn't crowded that time of the year. if you want to explore Flaming Gorge or the Uintah Basin.

However, I'd have to recommend southern Utah. That's a good time of the year for Moab - for easy access to Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. I haven't found any "superb" campgrounds in Moab though, and I would avoid it totally around Easter because everyone in the US with a Jeep will be there. Really crowded for the weeks around the annual Jeep rally. There's some campgrounds just south of Moab that are OK, and you could rent a jeep for a few days and almost everything on the Colorado river there is gorgeous. Good time of the year for a canoe float on the Colorado. They set you in just North of Moab and pick you up a few hours later down river. It's calm on that section. You're also just a few hours from Monument Valley and Bridges National Monument, both awesome if Moab is your base camp. If you go, PM me and I share some locals trails accessible with a jeep or UTV that are fun.

Might I also suggest Bryce Canyon and stay at Ruby's campground as an option. It's nice, not crowded, and plenty of sites for a big Monty. Cold that time of year at night but comfortable in the daytime. I'd take two days to explore and hike in Bryce if you like hiking. Breathtaking scenery. You won't regret it. It's also a good base camp for the Grand Staircase, and driving Highway 12, one of the top 10 scenic byways in the country. You won't want to pull your Monty on that unless you are OK with narrow roads and I think Boulder is nearly 10,000ft. above sea level so good brakes a must if you are towing which is why I suggest just base camp in Bryce and day trip highway 12. You can also take in Capitol Reef NP near Torrey. Highway 89 from Bryce/Panguitch to I-70 is nice as well. All within a days drive. Let me know if you have any questions.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote