Thread: Regulators
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
From an older post.

"The subject of the red regulator valve failure has come up often in the past. Some have replaced them. Some have eliminated them. Many have questioned the purpose. Well, I found out. Someone on another forum posted a requirement by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) relating to the subject. And since I was once a member on two different NFPA committees I am still able to access all their standards and able to verify it. But here is what the NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles says:

"5.3.11.2 Propane system pressure shall be regulated to a pressure of 30 psi (207 kpa) or less within 60 in. (1.5m) of the container outlet."

So it appears that if the distance from the street side tank to the dual stage change over regulator on the opposite side is greater than 60 inches, that red regulator is required. Since all the trailers are much wider than 60", I would assume it would apply to all that have the two tanks installed on opposite sides of the trailer with the dual stage change over valve on one side. Note that propane tank pressure can be over 200 psi, so that could be over 200 psi across the piping from one side to the other without the red regulator."
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote