View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #12
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Like I said, it is a dream of mine to have a set up like this, but I am thinking that it might not get this big. Soooo, what would be the best way? Would I be better off on 10 BBs? Pare down on some of my list? Would I be better off putting batteries in the front where my 4 GC2s are now?

On the Onan, that's a gimme. I am getting one no matter what. I have to have a back up to the back up. That's just me.

By the way, you guys are really smart. I had to read those posts a couple of times to get them wrapped around my brain pan. Love it!! I belong to a Solar Forum and you guys talk like them.

I am not learned enough on the watts gained, its just that Steven, guy in video is getting them and he can stay out 3-6 weeks at a time, mostly for his job.

The other inspiration, on a cheaper, lower level, is this guy. You don't have to watch the whole thing, solar is at the beginning....but I do like hos solutions on other areas, especially the dumping of tanks.

https://youtu.be/8Qn7z697GxU

My rig is 41 foot. I should be able to do something close to either one of these.
You do have some big dreams @BeagleMan ! That's great!
I was thinking of the video that you shared here - I had seen that one also and am considering some of his ideas for water and waste management.

So I think I'm getting a different impression now. From your first post, I was thinking that you wanted to have a few days of power backup, or a quick getaway. And my first thought was that your design was way overkill.
But if your idea is more like the Steven Lewis video and you plan to be off grid for weeks at a time, then your ideas make a lot more sense.

For your question on number of batteries, here's a couple of considerations:
-by having the Onan also, you will be safe starting smaller and building up as you determine what your needs are. Less battery means more generator, but also less overall weight.
-perhaps you could do an energy audit? If you installed the Victron BMV-712 monitor and shunt to start with, it could give you that audit information. From there you could start making better decisions that may help to decide the right size system for you.

We decided to get our new Montana with the Super Solar Flex option. It is a system that is about half the capacity you are thinking of. We are stuck in winter right now so haven't used the system, so I can't comment on how well it may work. We may look at upgrading it a bit after we've used it.
Have you seen info on the Super Solar Flex system?
- this video is from Matt Wolkins of Futuresales and is the guru who designed the system for Montana. I like this one as he explains the pieces and why they chose them. It may give you some ideas.

Hope that helps!
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote