View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #44
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltilt View Post
Hi
I had the Denali Crew 2500, SRW, short box, Duramax. I found from time to time my suspension would bottom on expansion joints etc, so I installed air bags. The fittings Firestone includes are really for water, not air & will leak. I would change them to compression fittings with inserts or copper lines with flare fittings. My truck performed best with 28# in the bags 5th wheel attached, this would be 8#, load off. I gave up trying to keep 5# in the bags when empty, it would leak out, but even at 5#, you could feel the difference empty. I pulled the damn bags out, went to a wrecker & bought the 3500 rear springs for $500.00 for everything. the 3500 spring pack uses the same 5 leaf pack as the 2500, but adds two overloads, that come into play when loaded. Ride doesn't change when unloaded.
I agree as I had a similar experience with a similar truck. The unloaded ride was not acceptable for us. If you need bags then chances are you need more suspension capacity. Not to mention being overloaded but that's another issue.

The term "air bags" sounds like a soft ride. They are not unless you are bottomed out without them.