View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #16
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Take this for what it’s worth, from my perspective the path you want to pursue still does not address the inherent weakness of the brackets, springs and other hardware associated with the OEM suspension. Yes the axles are rated higher however the rest of the hardware connecting the axles is the same. The saddle brackets still have a propensity to fail due their length and the load on them. Once they fail you are stuck. The leaf springs still rely upon a .05 cents tin clamp to hold them together. Those clips come off all of the time. I got to where I checked mine everyone we pulled out from a location and still had them disappear allowing the leaf spring to come apart on the interstate. For us the axle upgrade alone did not address the iproblem.
I'm not sure about the part that "the rest of the hardware connecting the axles is the same"... however the entire suspension is 8k rated, not 7k rated. That includes more than just the axle, and it certainly includes the spring pack. What do you mean by "the rest of the hardware", and where are you getting this info from?

Thanks, I really am interested in finding out how well an upgrade to 8k leaf suspension practically works.

BTW, IS sounds nice, but I just can't see going all the way to Indiana to get it, along with the price... and, as to leafs being "horse and buggy suspension", while that's partially true, leaf suspension works reliably for tens of thousands of trucks driving millions of miles up and down the roads every year; and newer models having quite plush rides as well!

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote