View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #8
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Next thing we rehash over and over again is:

Licensing in your state and travel in other states. Dot = commercial period!
State by State: Unlike off road vehicle or fishing licenses these are reciprocal state to state. If you are legal in your state towing one trailer then you should be legal in everystate. I say should be because a lot of states have laws on the books about towing double trailers and limitation laws on the books. Can't tow a 5er then a utility trailer and a boat behind.
Over 26000 Lbs for tow vehicle, in my state is class upgrade from auto.
In my state has no motorhome type License or endorsement. Your car license is sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdownthehighway View Post
When you see a truck with DOT Numbers and "not for hire" listed as well, it means a few things. 1) they are commercial and working for something like a carnival, circus, zoo and some farms in some areas. Where they fall under the commercial definition, but only work for that one person/company only.. There are even a few paving companies around me that has a few trucks with DOT numbers on them and "not for hire" listed below those numbers as well.

The definition of a commercial driver is someone getting paid to haul something for someone. Anyone can buy any truck out there from a pickup to a Class 8 semi and use it for personal use or use them for commercial use. As of now there is no specific law saying that certain trucks have to have DOT numbers, or commercial plates on them.