View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
So, I know some of you recommended I do the work myself, but it really is a messy PITA, in my opinion. Instead, I took it to a recommended RV repair facility nearby. They told me I needed all new backing plates and hubs (drums), for $2,300. Tried to tell me the seals failed. I went and looked. The insides have a lot of brake dust, not grease. The bearings have not been serviced since new, so I knew they had not been over-greased. The shoes could stand to be replaced but are not glazed or greasy, nor are the drums. The wires on one of the four magnets are broken. Of course, the backing plates are Dexter Never-adjust so they're expensive at $250-325 a pair if I buy them, but it's not needed. I told them to put it back together; I'll do the dirty work myself. A can of brake cleaner ($6), four pair of shoes ($120), four seals ($50), and a pair of magnets ($40). So, for $216, plus the minimum one hour labor ($125), maybe two, that they'll charge when I pick it up, I get to do the messy work myself, grrrr.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote