View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #53
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
To the OP, I can't speak for sure and for certain about your original question. But, I can't imagine how registering a vehicle can change what the manufacturer recommends for a maximum payload. It doesn't sound reasonable for the manufacturer to be concerned about how a truck is registered, if at all. I can see registering a truck to lower than max load weights for various reasons.

Montana Man hit the root of the this topic, which continually is blended into the confusion.

Referring to this part "I can't imagine how registering a vehicle can change what the manufacturer recommends for a maximum payload."

At the end of the day, their isn't a 'law' on the books which directly ties a weight and the manufacturer's spec together (negligence indirectly does). But their are a pile of laws which tie registered weight and actual weights together.

At the end of the day,
If the operator isn't grossly negligent (civil matter) the long arm of the law is only going to care about registered weight vs actual weight.

The confusing part is the general public has somehow gotten it into their heads that the manufacturer's sticker in the door jam is a legally binding 'thing'; but it isn't. The legally binding 'thing' is the registration in the glove box.

steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote