Thread: Slide gear pack
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
This can happen if your slide is not centered in the opening. With the slide extended, measure from the side of the slide to the edge of the opening at the front and at the back. If the measurements are not about equal, and they are skewed in the same direction as the roller gear on the pinion, horizontal adjustment of the slide is in order. Lippert has instructions on their web site. I had to move mine a few years ago as it was off center by over an inch. To move it, I had the slide partially extended, loosened the bolts on both slide tubes that control horizontal adjustment. Then I pulled the wiper at the bottom loose so that it would not be damaged. Then I took a couple of pieces of wood and a pry bar. The wood protected the edge of the opening and the side of the slide. Then a good push to move it over. Keep moving it until the measurements at front and back are approximately equal. Regarding how much weight the roller is carrying, the replacement roller-gear assembly has different rollers that appear to be more substantial. How do I know all this, you might ask? As stated, my big slide was off center toward the front. Eventually, the slide started coming in crooked with the active end leading and the passive end lagging behind. This put the fascia on the inside of the slide dangerously close to the front of a cabinet door. Investigation revealed gears like in your picture. In addition, that drive shaft that goes from the active end to the passive end had split at the active end. The split allowed the driven end of the slide to move a lot before the slack in the damaged drive shaft was taken up. Also, due to excess drag, the drive gear had jumped a tooth. The other symptom was that when the slide was closed, the front did not pull in tight against the side of the coach. Solution: new roller-gear assemblies for both ends of the slide, repair of the drive shaft and horizontal adjustment. All is well now.