View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #38
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slufoot733 View Post
I live in PA. This past spring I went through this issue and caused myself a lot of worry about it. I drive a 2016 F350 with a 'registered' GVWR of 11,000 (Ford rated this truck for 11,500). My Monty weighs 12,040 empty but is 'registered' at 17,000 (Keystone rated it for 16,700). 11k + 17k + 28K.

Now, with that in mind I obtained study guides and got my CDL learners permit. After studying the manuals and watching a million videos I scheduled a CDL NON commercial class A test. I enlisted a friend's help (he has a CDL) to go with me since I could drive alone on the permit. We drive 80 miles to the test center only to be asked by the examiner, and his supervisor, "why are you here?". I explained that I'm registered for 28K CVGWR and need the Non-com class A license. I was told by the examiner "unless this RV is used for commercial purposes I do NOT need the class A license. It's a private, pleasure vehicle, not used in commerce or for profit. If I painted 'Kevin's French Frys' on the side then I would need the class A." We were sent on our way with an "enjoy your RV and drive safe". So we drove the 80 miles back to face my wife.....who couldn't believe it!

To be honest, I am still confused. I cannot get a straight answer from anybody. State police friends of mine are split on this also. But most have stated they would never mess with an RV like this unless it was driving erratically or some other good reason. I only hope this doesn't come back to bite me 'you know where!'.

You should have insisted. The DMV staff usually isn't educated. I had to educate my locate office. After a little explanation, we proceeded with the pre-trip inspection, straight-line backup, pull-up and an alley dock and then the on-road drive test. It doesn't matter if it's an RV. An RV is non-commercial and it is above 26k therefore a Non-commercial Class A is required. I googled the PA DOT fact sheet and it's doesn't mention exemptions for RVs like they stated.

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/D...ct%20sheet.pdf