View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #28
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Kansas requires a non-commercial class A if your trailer GVWR is over 10K, or the combined GVWR weigh of truck and trailer is greater than 26000 pounds. When I went to get mine upgraded from a C to Non-commercial A, I was not asked who brought the rig over - examiner probably didn't want to know .

That said, I had to take a written exam and then a very thorough driving test (backing, 90 degree parking, parallel parking, driving in residential area, driving in highway with lane changes, etc.) When I got back the examiner told me I had to go to Junction City KS to get my actual license -- asked why and was told that Junction City was where they issued CDLs. Huh - I told the examiner I was only there for the non-commercial A. Ended up that I had just passed the CDL driving test. Regardless, now legal with a non-commercial A license. BTW - KS also has an air brake endorsement that applies to those driving vehicles with air brakes.

Sorry for being so long winded but one last thing - when I was researching this stuff I asked three different dealer's sales people about the license requirements - specifically while looking at some toy haulers with GVWRs of 20K and each told me that nothing other than a normal drivers license is required. Bottom line - research, research and research. The answer you get the first time MAY be incorrect.

Wishing all safe travels and the best of the Holidays to you all.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote