View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Smith Mountain Lake is in Franklin Country not Roanoke County. A lot of the people who live down there are from big cities in colder climates who wonted to get away from the big city. When they get down there they try to bring the big city experience with them. What Dave describes is just what you get.

We have 3 hospitals Carlion Roanoke memorial 14000 employees. They are planning a $300 million expansion and a $100 million cancer center to go with their medical college.
Lewis Gale hospital and clinic. I don’t know how many employees the hospital has but the clinic has 110 doctors and 600 employees. The Roanoke valley serves western Virginia’s medical needs.
Like I stated before we also have a large VA medical center. I don’t know how many doctors or people they employ.
Roanoke is a railroad town. We have a Transportation Museum with the fastest steam passenger engine ever built, 110 MPH. In a lot of the valley you can’t even hear a train and when you can or live close to the tracks the trains aren’t the dusty mess they once were. All the coal is coated to control the dust. Most of the trains don’t carry coal now.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote