Thread: A/C ????
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #27
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebds2019 View Post
OK folks I have read about this mod several times and finally decided to look into it more seriously. But still having some understanding issues. I have a 3810MS with an arched roof. A little while ago I took the cover and filter off one of the returns in the living room. I measured the distance from the top of the return to the bottom of the return right at the air register. It measured about 1". I don't have a ladder with me so I can't get up high enough to actually look into the register (going to try to use my phone camera with flash later).

I am confused. If the vent measured 1" at the opening and the pvc you are all recommending is 1-1/4" how does that make much of a difference? What am I missing here? Where is this closed up vent supposed to be?

Also, in my 3810MS there are two A/C units, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. If I turn on the living room unit there is also some cool air coming out of the bedroom vents. How can that be? Aren't they two separate cooling subsystems?

IMHO - get a work platform of ladder to easily work from. once up there: see if you can easily push the top of the duct up to increase the space by 1/4". If it opens up, that gives you 25% more space. The return side is more of an issue. On the pressure side, limiting obstructions is important to not hinder flow. kinda like a rock in a stream

If you are a gadget person, get a bore scope to run off your phone. This allows you to see all sorts of places normally not accessible .
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote