View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
Angry Windows have to buy the whole frame LOL

So first time I put out the rear awning on my 3950 the rearmost window on the side shattered for some reason. Oh Crap

Called the dealer and wanted order a replacement window. I was "educated" that the entire assembly has to be replaced as the unit is "non serviceable". What a load of crap.

I bit the bullet as I could not find a local company that could match the glass. I did save the upper and lower connecting pieces however. $400 odd dollars later the complete unit arrive after 4 weeks.

Once I had the new unit I took it apart and I tend not to believe it when someone says the unit cannot be serviced (especially when they want to charge me several hundred dollars for the install.

The glass is easily changed by removing 3 screws along the top of the window frame! The screws are small self taping ones that prevent the upper channel from sliding. When I was disassembling the old one I discovered the the middle screw that is supposed to be between the windows was actually misaligned and the pointy part was touching where the actual glass used to be. My guess is that the vibration from the awning was enough to shatter the window where the point was touching. This is the same principal I used in my paramedic days to gain entry to patients in cars with a spring loaded center punch.

I changed out both of the windows by sliding them towards the front of the trailer. I slid the new ones in. Easy Peasy. I then ensured the center screw point was nowhere near the glass. Took about 15 minutes start to finish. I am researching the channels used on the upper and lower portions of the glass. to see how hard it is to find. Now I have a spare emergency exit window and a complete frame to experiment with.

I decided to check all of the windows to ensure this condition was not duplicated elsewhere. Found one other window set with the point touching the glass and re-positioned it.

My guess is that Keystone and the dealer only selling the frame is a ploy for you to spend money. Especially when a cut piece of glass is under about $40-50$ Maybe some bright person can come up with a reasonable explanation as to why you have to replace the entire unit other than greed.

Why would Keystone and the dealer support the owner installing a piece of glass when keystone can force you to by the whole unit and the dealer can advise you that the install should only be done by qualified professionals and if you install it yourself it may void your warranty.

In the words of Bugs Bunny "What a Maroon"

Disgusted in Florida

Tom
=========================
darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote