View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #62
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ratings can be misleading. The Mission TR 235/80 tires that came on my Montana are very flimsey when you handle them unmounted. As I said in other posts, I could squeeze the tire beads together with out much effort with both my left or right hand. I could push one finger into the inside sidewall of this tire and make a little bulge in the outside of the tire. They feel like a rag.
I tried this on cheap Canadian Tire LT tires and I could not squeeze the tires together using all my might. I could not make a bulge with my finger. I don't believe this is a TR versus LT thing.
All manufacturers put on the cheapest rubber they can buy and these Missions are cheap tires.
When decent tire makers start making 16 inch 10 ply tires with the TR rating , I will look at them. Right now you can get very good LT 16 inch tires that handle tall loads like slide in campers, that can take the stump pulling torque of a diesel , and can be turned hard while the stump pulling torque of a diesel is pushing the truck straight ahead, so I don't believe a trailer tire has a hard life at all. It has to roll, support weight , and take a little low speed side scrubbing when we are tight turning in reverse. Compared to what pickup tires do, this is a piece of cake. I have overloaded LT tires, spun them, turned hard on them and put real miles on them without a failure. Look at all the TR tire blow outs and I think TR should stand for trash.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote