View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #17
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
Electrical Problems

We Bought a new 2017 3791RD last year. e had all sorts of electrical issues for a full year. Some of them were just as you described. Mine was found by accident, when someone wiggled the shore power plug at the rear of the coach, as they walked past. Instant failure of half of my coach. We unplugged the shore power, disconnected the battery by flipping the switch, then took the 4 screws out of the plug socket on the rear of the Monty.(be sure to test for power back feeding from the inverter) What we found was 1 wire was never clamped into the plug at the factory. We had arcing in the plug that left burn marks inside the plug. Once we saw it, our dealer instantly ordered us a new plug, along with 2 new shore power cords just in case it was damaged. Our Portable EMS never picked up a fault due to it never shorted out. It just kept shutting off 1 leg of our power. In our case, the power would always come back on within an hour or so, possibly due to us just walking around and the coach shaking a little. I attached a photo of what we found. This is exactly as it was when we pulled out the plug. Notice the RED wire in the BLACK hole, and the Black wire in the Red hole. I know they are both HOT. But how hard is it to match the colors when installing the plug? Also, look closely, you can see the clamp screw is all the way out. It was never touched on the assembly line floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6184.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	2914  
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote