Thread: antifreeze
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #19
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Everyone has different procedures... none are 100% right or wrong. I think most of us have learned from mistakes.

I can get by on 2 gallons, and here's how...

In my 3295RK I pull the anode rod in the bottom of the water heater and get it draining. I hook up an air hose (Regulator set at 50 PSI) and blow everything until just mist is coming out everywhere... not forgetting the combo washer and the outside shower. (I move the water heater valve to bypass as soon as it's empty.) I remove and let drain any residual water from the low point drains and then reinstall the caps for the antifreeze pumping. I put a cotton rope in the anode rod hole to wick any remaining water out of the bottom of the water heater and leave it there until freeze up. There will be a wet spot in the concrete from the dripping rope for a week after the heater is "Drained". Probably not necessary as any water left in there would do no damage freezing but I like it dry.

Then I move the air hose to the black tank flush and blow it out. I never put anti freeze in that line.

I have a antifreeze suction line near my pump, so I set that valve and start pumping one faucet at a time... both cold and hot, catching the anti freeze in a cup as it flows out.

The trickiest is the washer combo as you need to make sure you get the anti freeze through both the hot and cold valves in the process. I let the antifreeze flow into the drum and set the control to drain to be sure the pump gets taken care of. This also takes care of the trap in the washer drain pipe. Splendide has great instructions for winterizing online and in the manual if you have it!

I use all of the anti freeze up in traps, and if I run out I pull the traps I can get to easily and dump them out. Obviously I save the easiest to get to traps for last, Kitchen sink and bathroom sink.

I also leave a little anti freeze in the bottom of the toilet to keep the seal soft.

The fresh water tank, which I seldom use is simply drained with the cap underneath the rig.

I personally do not like antifreeze in the fresh tank, or the water heater. I made the mistake of forgetting the bypass valve on the water heater one time and it took me most of the next summer to get rid of the foaming in the hot water. It was likely harmless, but I didn't like it.

Enjoyed reading everyone else's experiences!
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote