View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #78
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Dave, I absolutely do not take what you are suggesting the wrong way. No problem here. I have known this couple for just under 2 years. The possibilities exists that he did something very stupid and just doesn't want to admit it. But even if I had never met the guy before I would have a hard time believing he would pump DEF into his truck tank, his aux tank, his DEF tank, then hang up that nozzle and pump diesel into his truck tank and his aux tank.

The only possible chain of events, if he did it himself, would be that he pumped DEF into both his truck tank and his aux tank, realized it, so he tried to dilute it by topping each off with diesel. He then pulled forward, discovered the truck was missing, and had the filter changed. Truck ran better and they didn't want to be held up so away he went. However 100 miles down the road the injectors finally started to give out.

Even though I tend to believe his original version and not the above chain of events, the possibility exists that he could have done it himself.

The one thing that bothered me was that he never considered turning it in to his insurance until I suggested it. He was prepared to simply write a check when they got his truck repaired and at that time the Dodge dealer estimated it could be anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000. If I had paid for and pumped contaminated diesel into my RV you can bet I would be looking for either Pilot's insurance to pay or my own insurance to pay. But then again, I may be reading too much into his reactions.