View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #20
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
No complaints here, knew exactly what I was getting into, just not practical for long time use, great for emergency. If someone wants to sit next to a propane source or want to go hunt down propane , then by all means haul a bunch of propane tanks, and have at it , because you will have to if you think you are going to run that Onan LP for hours on end, just a fact.

All some of us are pointing out is whats going to happen, plus you are going to spend thousands on the Onan setup, plus thousands more for solar, batteries, inverters etc, this doesn't come cheap, and the benefits are what, and what is your return on this investment. Now if someone needs to sit for days ,or weeks run all their air conditioners, microwave etc, yes you need to invest thousands to do that dry camping

Many ,and I am one, I dry camp for a few days, and usually we don't need air conditioning, I don't want to be anywhere its hot, the object is to get out of the heat. I take two 5 gallon cans of gas a Honda 2000, and I am covered. If that microwave needs to be run, we just make sure nothing else is on, for that short time. We can watch TV to our hearts content.

I have read many times about guys buying these Onan generators, and then wondering why. Just want to the OP to know it can be an expensive mistake for what you get out of it .

You are certainly entitled to your opinion by all means as we all are. In addition what works for you and your needs may or may not meet my needs. My Onan does NOT burn through propane at an unacceptable rate for my needs. I speak from fact as I have one and I use it. My purchase was not a mistake. Expenses are expenses. We didn't go this route to weekend camp so the ROI for us was evident. From my reading of the OP he/she has already decided on a route and was asking for specific input.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote