View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #45
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
This weight issue has always been around with all RV makes and pickup brands. The vast majority of slide in campers are overweight and Ford has made 3/4 ton models that you could overload with your four fattest aunts in the cab and the box absolutely empty but thanks to lawyers we live in a different world now and what you could do in the past now involves a higher risk of legal hassle.

Even though I own the smallest Montana model available, if my truck was an older F350 SRW, I would be over my GVWR. That is one of the reasons I went to the 05 F350 SRW. It has an 11200 lb GVWR and the truck empty with me in it weighs 7500 lbs so my legal payload is 3700 but subtract a 2200 pound pin weight and that only leaves 1500 pounds for my auxilary gas tank, tools, passengers, etc.
I will probably have a few hundred pounds to spare. My 04 F350 with only a 9900 lb GVWR would be overloaded by quite a bit.
Yet I see many people hauling much larger Montana models with 3/4 ton trucks. They are probably over their GVWRs by quite a bit but when you go shopping for a big Montana the saleman will never tell you that legally, you need a 1 ton dually to haul that puppy. No, you will never hear that because that might cost them a sale, yet it is the absolute truth.

Remember, if you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger but I guess what I am trying to say is we probably should be just as concerned about overloading our TVs as we are our Coaches.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote