View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #82
Rex-
Established Member

M.O.C. #18362
Angry Ac cycling erratically

I have been trying to find the right thread to post my issue, maybe this is it. We have a 2016 3791 that has had ac issues since we first used it in 6-16. We have two ac's each operated by their own stat. The units will start and cool fairly good for a while then for no explainable reason the compressor will cycle off for a few seconds and then right back on, or the fan will cycle off and right back on, then maybe the compressor again. Each time either one is off for just a few seconds and they do not cycle together. Then it may run just fine for awhile. I have spent over 40 years in the industrial refrigeration field so I understand the mechanical and electrical side of an ac unit although I'm certainly not an RV ac expert. These are fairly simple units with just a few electrical components so when it started acting up I replaced the stat believing that to be the issue, no change. Then I replaced the circuit board in the condensing unit, again no change which really surprised me. After the season we pulled it out of our permanent spot and took it into our dealer. They had it for a few weeks, talked to Dometic a few times and "hoped" they had it fixed although they couldn't tell me exactly what they did to fix it. Although they did assure me that even though the one year warranty would expire before the next season they would still cover the problem as it would be considered an ongoing issue that was identified during the warranty period. We took it out this year and of course no difference. The compressor and fan continued to cycle erratically. We took it back to the dealer in July 17, they had it for a couple of weeks and even with Dometic's help and a couple of conference calls with the dealer, Dometic and myself they still could not find the problem. So Dometic sent two new ac units and the dealer installed them. We took it back to our camp site and believe it or not, still no change. Both continued to cycle. Let me also explain that this happens even with the stats set at their lowest setting and the coach at mid 70's and higher. I also do not believe it is freezing up as the compressor cycles right back on and I have not noticed any drop in cfm's out of the vents. TD has been around 28-30+ degrees which does indicate a lack of adequate air flow. So now it is back at the dealer, who has tried unsuccessfully to get a Dometic tech out to help find the problem. The general manger has gotten involved and called Montana and now a Montana rep will be here Monday to look at the unit. If he can't figure it out he said he would have it pulled back to the factory where there have both Montana and Dometic techs on site. I will also say that even though the dealer, RCD in the Columbus Ohio area, has not been able to ID the problem they have always been very accommodating and persistent in fact that they are committed to seeing this issue to the end. After hearing so many nightmare stories from others about their dealers I feel fortunate to be dealing with a company like RCD. Tim the general manager, Trish the service manager and Matt the assistant service manager have all I believe done all they can and are equally frustrated with this issue.
Has anyone had this issue or heard of an issue like this? And if so was a resolution found? Sorry for such a long posting.
Rex- is offline   Reply With Quote