View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronthecanadian View Post
Here in Ontario the provincial government (Ministry of Environment) retains a copy of the Well records, if you know who drilled the well they may also be required to retain a copy.

Fracking is known to cause major issues with local well owners in other jurisdictions, as a former water operator in a large municipality I have talked with many US operators dealing with this issue.
I hope this is not the case, depending on the chemicals used by the fracking companies, the solution can become complicated.

Best of luck on the solution
Thanks Ron, I'm in no way intending to be political here, my own opinion on fracking continues to vacillate. On the one hand, we may soon need every energy solution the US has to offer - on the other: NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard)!

To clarify, perhaps it could be limited to areas OTHER than pristine freshwater lake systems?!

Now, regarding the well report, we're now in possession of it. It's 8 years old and they never hit shale. They drilled through a lot of clay, clay mixed with boulders, and even limestone - but no shale.

However, I live in Florida, and I am very familiar with fickle, yet deadly, radon gas - I believe it's best explained as what happens when deep pockets of natural gas are disturbed and begins it's trek towards the surface - it sometimes passes through uranium layers that irradiate it - changing it forever into a toxic mess. Sometimes this gas migrates into homes. It is heavier than air, so it travels along the floor. Depending on the flow rate and the build-up, it can pose a threat to any living thing that inhales it. The young, the old, or those with weakened immune systems are most susceptible. Like carbon monoxide, it's odorless, colorless, and tasteless...but if it can be vented into the air outside your home it can be quickly dissipated and becomes a non-issue. It really only becomes a killer if it's undetected. Once detected, systems can be obtained that trap & redirect it, and vented above/outside the home.

It gets me thinking, if radon behaves this way, natural gas probably can as well - right?

After watching some YouTube videos, it strikes me that one cheap way of detecting if it is a hydrocarbon is...to turn on a faucet and then strike a match next to it (...then my wife reminds me that we're in a camper, which is about as combustible as a mobile home)!

I was told by a veteran well driller to run the water into the woods behind my camper for about 2 to 3 hours, then take a sample in for testing. He said sometimes when you smell gas...it IS gas...but sometimes gas...moves on!?

I will do this, then I will remove/replace the anode rod, drain & flush the water heater, add some bleach at the hose, reconnect the water hose...pray...and then just wait for the test report!

I'll post a follow up to this thread mid-October!
BucBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote