View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Cracked Shower Pan Repair and Rebuild

I just completed the repair of my cracked shower pan. The cause: styrofoam base supporting plastic/fiberglass shower pan. Over time, human weight crushes styrofoam causing compression and then shower pan flexes and cracks. I have photos here: http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...Pan%20Rebuild/
The challenge with this fix is that the shower pan has a slope to allow water to run toward the drain hole. The back corner - farthest from the drain - requires a foundation depth of 1 5/8 inches while near the drain the foundation depth is 1 1/4 inches. This required some creativity in getting a sloping foundation to properly support the shower pan while creating a strong, non-flexible foundation so the pan will not flex and crack again.

My solution: a two piece foundation. I used 1 X 4 inch pressure treated board to create a non-solid yet firm radial foundation with shims to create the necessary slope. Accurate measuring of depth is critical. Part two is a solid 7/16 thick OSB board cut into the shape of the original styrofoam. I did extend the size of the OSB foundation slightly to provide more support for the shower pan. I screwed each of the radial boards down with deck screws and then used the same screws to attach the OSB foundation board to the radials. The 7/16 thick board is sufficiently strong not to flex or bend in the small gaps of the radials. I then decided to add a single sheet of fiberglass matt sheeting between the OSB and the shower pan. This serves no real purpose other than it makes the sound of standing in the shower less echo-ey. I just taped this sheet to the bottom of the shower pan prior to re-installing.

I have some dimensions and drawings to add. I will also add some photos of re-installing the glass enclosure and framing.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote