View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Add another X to the XFactors

Drawing ambition from Ozz, photos from Bingo and Oldelmer1, and not believing the price vendors wanted for a 63" piece of steel with two plates welded to it, I installed this tonight.

For those of you with the means and already have the MOR/ryde LRE suspension system, instead of paying $140 +++ bucks for each support, try the following. Go to your local iron yard and get two 3/16" or 1/4" steel plates sheared or cut to 8" by 4.5". Get another couple of 3" triangular gussets sheared or cut. Transfer the holes from your equalizer box and drill 4 holes in each plate. Measure the distance between your equalizer boxes and subtract the thickness times 2 of your plates. Get a piece of 2.5" square tube with say 3/16' wall cut to that measurement. Mine was 62.75". Weld one end solid 1" above the bottom edge of your plate and just tack the other in case you need to adjust it. Jack your camper up and take the 8 inner bolts out of the equalizer box ... slide your XFactor in and loosely install all bolts. If all bolts go in ... take it out and finish welding it up ... if not all bolts go in, break one of the tacks and adjust it till all bolts fit, then weld her up. Add a couple of 3" gussets on top and slap some paint on it. Install the Xfactor for good torquing the bolts to 40 ftlbs. At my local metal yard, the plate and square tube cost about $26, 1.25" bolts and lock nuts were about $4, I gave my neighbor a 6 pack to borrow his welder, and lastly a can of semiflat paint was $3.68. For around $40 you can weld one together and have the $100 to spend elsewhere. If you go for the other two crosmembers, you'll just have to study some XFactor photos online and make the end plates slightly different.
Or .......... maybe if you wait, the manufacturer will give them out for free with all the issues popping up on the MOC.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote