View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Winterizing 3400RL - The first time

Well I got caught off guard and hadn't winterized the 3400RL yet and the I noticed the forecast for this evening is 32 degrees. Asleep at the switch. This is the first time I have ever winterized an RV so was dependent on the Operators Manual which is not the most informative or very clear. POS to be honest. But.... of course I didn't have the airline to water connection adapter and only had a few minutes of daylight so I improvised under a bit of stress. Here is what I have done so far. Will probably try to find the air/water adpater tomorrow.

1.) Opened all faucets - Hot and Cold
2.) Opened the valves on the hot and cold water lines which are supposed to be at the lwoest point in the lines. - some drainage.
3.) Removed Anode in Water Heater and drained it. It was completely full. Opened the air valve so it would drain faster.
4.) Drained all three waste water tanks including black water. Then closed.
5.) Removed cap on fresh water tank and let it drain.
6.) Put at least a 1/2 gallon of RV anti-freeze in each drain, sinks (kitchen, bathroom, shower) and a gallon in the Black Tank.
7.) Poured a quart to maybe a half gallon of anti-freeze in capped fresh water tank.

Now I know these aren't all the steps included in the manual but it was getting dark. The only thing I may have missed in some water in the lines but they should have drained empty with the low drain valves and open faucets. Right?

We usually don't get this kind of cold weather this soon but our dreary winter weather of overcast skies and rain was suddenly replaced by clear skies so it's going to get cold tonight. We seldomly get freezing weather and 20 degrees is very unusual. I think the all time record low is 6 or 9 degrees or so.

So is there anything I missed that is significant? Do I need to do more tomorrow?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. A Newbie here.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote