View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 03:56 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mountain Roads and drivers

Sue and I made a little trip from Manitou Springs Colorado to Cripple Creek Colorado yesterday, a drive with some beautiful views.
The rain turned to sleet and snow as we drove up in altitude. I remember the attitude of some of the natives here, they call visitors 'Flatlanders' and themselves 'Natives", they even sport bumper stickers and signs stating so, (now remember earlier, I stated SOME of the natives) as if they didn't want to be confused with the irritating outsiders. They drive very fast, taking the mountain roads and curves with wild abandon. I encountered a few, where I could, I pulled over and let them pass.
When we returned from Cripple Creek, coming over the mountain roads very high, we saw different road conditions, wet, snowy and slushy. This called for caution, as the next 1/4 mile would bring on unknown conditions. We rounded a corner and some poor souls had head on crashed with their car, into a one ton dodge truck. This was on an icy patch of road, they probably had no time to prepare for if speeding. One girl was sitting on the pavement with a blanket over her shoulders, the other was laying there writhing in pain. The car had hit hard, air bag deployed on the drivers side, the passenger had taken a horrible hit. There were 4 or 5 cars and trucks helping, so we drove on. 5 or 6 minutes down the road, some volunteer firemen and rescue were coming to help, with their Red and Blue lights flashing on their trucks, and 1/2 hour or so down the road, an ambulance was speeding to them. Our hearts and prayers were, and are with the victims.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote