View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #16
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I like this idea, but I don't think any manufacturer or dealer would respond to this in a positive manner. It's too adversarial. My opinion is that anybody buying a new unit should schedule a solid day to perform a complete top-to-bottom PDI, before signing the final papers. Test everything. Make sure the dealer knows that you are an experienced RVer and will perform a thorough inspection before signing on the dotted line and that you will not sign until everything is working to your satisfaction. Be prepared to walk out of the dealer without signing the final contract, but giving them a set date to have everything to your satisfaction. Make sure they know you will be just as thorough on the second PDI. That will be a very strong comment on the dealer's prep services, as well as the manufacturer.

This would also put pressure on the dealers to make sure the unit is solid and, if enough RV buyers do this, those dealers will put pressure on the manufacturers because it is now costing them time and money. Remember, while doing the inspection, your unit will probably be in one of the dealer's maintenance bays and they can't move it while you're in it.

One other thing that I would like to see is every owner posting reviews of their units (good or bad). If the manufacturers start to get heat from competing units getting better reviews...well that may also help improve the industries QA programs.

Well, that's my .02 cents, so I'll get off my soapbox now.

Fred

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lightningjack11

If I do upgrade to another Montana I think I will write up a typed addendum to my contract that specifies all problems reported in this forum will will be inspected for by the Mfgr prior to shipment. I would list the problems in the addendem. Inspectors signed name required with direct phone number for resolution. Failure to provide an adequate inspection will endanger contract completion and will require all monies returned if buyer is not 100% satisfied with resolution.

Any way I have been thinking about this. The idea is to prevent a large personnal loss if a defective unit is received. This would have the advantage of correcting/inspecting all known problems either at Mfgr. Dealer would provide resolutions. Warranty would start after all identified items are inspected and certified and contract is completed. Unforseen problems would then come under warranty.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote