Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about our Montanas (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tank level sensor upgrades/replacements? (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34815)

KathyandDave 07-08-2009 11:42 AM

Tank level sensor upgrades/replacements?

Does anybody know of an alternate sensor system for the tanks? The sensors are useless. They don't work reliably (sludge, grease, paper, etc.) and, even if they did, they don't indicate the tank contents accurately enough to decide when to dump. From the comments on MOC, our problem is typical.

Tom S. 07-08-2009 12:03 PM

There is an external system that uses similar technology like a stud finder uses, but they are very expensive - around $400 if I remember right.

Countryfolks 07-08-2009 12:09 PM

maybe?

http://www.liquidlevel.com/products_...ultrasonic.asp

Or mount one of these on the top of the tank.

http://www.coleparmer.com/Catalog/pr...sp?sku=4330121
http://www.coleparmer.com/Catalog/pr...sp?sku=4330126

Exnavydiver 07-08-2009 01:07 PM

Actually there is a viable alternative, SeeLevel Guages. About 250.00 for four tank sensors, fresh,grey, galley, black, battery, and switches for water heater and pump. basically a full retrofit for the POS that comes on most Montana/Big Skys. Here is a link to one dealer... As soon as the stick house sells these are going on the Big Sky... Dave

ols1932 07-08-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Does anybody know of an alternate sensor system for the tanks? The sensors are useless. They don't work reliably (sludge, grease, paper, etc.) and, even if they did, they don't indicate the tank contents accurately enough to decide when to dump. From the comments on MOC, our problem is typical.
You don't really need any type of gauge to know when to dump. The toilet will "burp" (a bubble shows) when flushed when the black water tank is getting close to full. In our case, when we notice the first "burp" we have another day that we can go before we dump. However, we usually dump as soon as we notice the "burp" or the next morning.

The gray water tank will indicate that it is nearing full capacity when you pull the plug in the bathroom wash basin and you can hear the water very close to the top.

The sensors really are useless. Having said that, I know there are some on the forum who are able to keep the tanks clean enough so that the sensors always read correctly, or near correctly.

Orv

Tom S. 07-08-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Actually there is a viable alternative, SeeLevel Guages. About 250.00 for four tank sensors, fresh,grey, galley, black, battery, and switches for water heater and pump. basically a full retrofit for the POS that comes on most Montana/Big Skys. Here is a link to one dealer... As soon as the stick house sells these are going on the Big Sky... Dave
Unless I'm reading it wrong - that $250 is for the gauge only - the sensors are extra.

Exnavydiver 07-08-2009 03:05 PM

you're wrong, check this link and read the note under the sensor unit. Each unit comes with sensors... Dave

Trailer Trash 2 07-08-2009 04:45 PM

as Orv said, I do the same as him, but when I see the water (gray) come up in the shower I pull the gate valve then on that tank, for the gally tank Keystone did a good pipe job there when the water wont go down any more and stops draining it's full, and I do the same as the forward gray tank.;)

gpats 07-08-2009 05:44 PM

You can get the best info on the SeeLevel product by looking at their web site---it looks an sounds like agood product--

noneck 07-08-2009 05:56 PM

Right...so I tend to dump early and put in a lot of water..."the solution to pollution is dilution".

Rondo 07-08-2009 06:08 PM

Dave how do these connect onto the tanks? Are they glued on or what! Can't see anything on your sight or the website for Seelevel that says how they connect! Sure seems like a good deal to me-- anything beats those in-tank gauges that come on the Montes! Maybe at Fall Rally we can suggest this to Keystone! Ya right!!

Exnavydiver 07-08-2009 06:22 PM

Rondo, here is a link to the PDF file for the shop manual for this unit, the sensors are adhesive. They stick to the side of the tanks and you only need one of the wires from the old sensors for each new sensor... dave

Rondo 07-08-2009 06:36 PM

Sure get me into more trouble by introing this to me![}:)] I may go broke just updating my 2004 2980! When everything is done then I'll decide to go for a new one and I'll really be in trouble with the DW. Trials and tribulations of a MOCr!![:p]

Art-n-Marge 07-08-2009 07:41 PM

Rondo, then you are in the same boat as the rest of us, so don't feel too special.

At this point, my list of wants for both the TV and the RV far surpasses the price of the Monty. Isn't that about how you feel?

Rondo 07-08-2009 07:55 PM

Yup!!:D:D[}:)][:p]

Tom S. 07-09-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

you're wrong, check this link and read the note under the sensor unit. Each unit comes with sensors... Dave
Ah ha! That clears it up. I wonder why they don't say that in the original ad? Thanks!

richfaa 07-09-2009 04:43 AM

We learned to live without them.I sometimes wonder why the RV industry even bothers to put such a low cost inferior product in a RV.. Then again the gages in all of our other RV's worked but we were just weekend campers.

Countryfolks 07-09-2009 05:00 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We learned to live without them.I sometimes wonder why the RV industry even bothers to put such a low cost inferior product in a RV.. Then again the gages in all of our other RV's worked but we were just weekend campers.
Marketing.

vgforbes 07-09-2009 12:49 PM

Like any advice this is worth what you pay for it... We tried this "remedy" and I think it even worked for a day or two. Just befor you head out for a good days run ..dump the tanks then add about 5-10 galons of water and TWO OR THREE BAGS OF ICECUBES.......it at lease tries to clean the sludge offm the tank/sensor.... Having tries taht you will probably use the old standby "Honey the toilet's full and needs to be dumped >>NOW!!!!"
gary and verna 2004 36rl/ 2006 3500 duramax

Glenn and Lorraine 07-09-2009 01:28 PM

If there is one thing I have learned it's this...
FORGET ABOUT THOSE D&*#ED GAUGES AND GET ON WITH THE RVing LIFESTYLE WE ALL LOVE.

Without a doubt this is one crappy subject that has been kicked around for many many years. Over all these years we have yet to hear a viable LONG lasting solution and you wanna know why??? Because THERE IS NONE!

Get to understand your usage and what the rig itself is telling you and you will soon forget those gauges, that is until it's brought back up again here on the forum.

My Monty does in fact talk to me and Lorraine and here's how.
As I pointed out in another thread our gally and shower tanks are interconnected. When these 2 tanks start becoming full the kitchen sink will gurgle or the shower pan will begin to fill with water. Either way it's time to dump.
When the Black Tank is near full it will blow bubbles when you flush the commode. Not so big when it first begins but much bigger if you haven't taken the hint.