Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Additions & Improvements (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Progressive Industries EMS location (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75713)

ColoradoPriorMarines 10-14-2018 08:17 AM

Progressive Industries EMS location

For those that have hardwired in a Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS, what location did you mount it? We are purchasing a 2018 3811MS and want to add the EMS right away.

Thanks for your help!

fatcatzzz 10-14-2018 09:45 AM

Installed mine next to our power panel, so shore power and Gen. power goes through it before anything else.

PNW Fireguy 10-14-2018 10:24 AM

Under the stairs accessed behind the rear wall of the basement. Lots of recepticle cable to make the splice and centrally located for our generator wiring convenience as well and out of the way. Placed the remote in the controls cabinet straight above the electrical panel. Very easy and straight forward install. A glow stick makes nice work to get through the existing chase behind the panel and closet (from the basement to the controls cab) in our rig.

beeje 10-14-2018 07:51 PM

Previous owners of my unit installed it on the basement wall, 2 feet or so inside the compartment door. He also installed a 2nd 50amp plug in, on the front of the camper for a genny hook up. There is a manual transfer switch box next to the unit to switch between the front and rear hook up.

The stock rear hook up goes through the EMS the front one does not.

From what I understand the EMS will NOT allow the genny power through it unless you fool it and connect the neutral and ground together in the cord.

My Ems is an older one that does not have the capability of a remote readout inside the camper.

h2ojocky 10-14-2018 11:54 PM

Instead of putting the neutral and ground together, you can buy a 15amp male plug from hardware store and take a short 12 gauge wire to jump from neutral to ground. Then put this plug into an available receptacle on the generator. I leave the plug in my generator so whenever I plug in my shore power cord the EMS will work as it should.

PNW Fireguy 10-15-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2ojocky (Post 1119870)
Instead of putting the neutral and ground together, you can buy a 15amp male plug from hardware store and take a short 12 gauge wire to jump from neutral to ground. Then put this plug into an available receptacle on the generator. I leave the plug in my generator so whenever I plug in my shore power cord the EMS will work as it should.

Not a problem with the onboard gen sets.

beeje 10-15-2018 07:50 PM

h2ojocky, That's exactly what I stated, just done in a different way. Never thought of that though. I will have to try that.