Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Soon to buy a Montana (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75365)

Bob and Jeannette 09-07-2018 01:17 PM

Soon to buy a Montana

Hi everyone. Jeannette and I have bought a Ram 3500 diesel and are now looking for the right Montana. We like the High Country RL305 just fine. We plan on full timing and any input in that area would be much appreciated.

PNW Fireguy 09-07-2018 02:34 PM

Welcome to the forum from Washington state. Find a floorplan that fits your liking and needs. Also can't stress enough regarding performing a thorough PDI. You will find a wealth of information regarding PDI's in the forum. When it comes to upgrades, safety upgrades are a real easy sell.

tooth ferry 09-07-2018 05:28 PM

WE really like our 2014 305RL and have had very few problems. Our longest trips have been about a month and there is plenty of room for that length of time but I think if I was going to full time I would like to be closer to a 40 footer. My wife is a crafter and space for her sewing and art would make a bigger living area very nice . You will need 2 ACs, and slide covers are great if you can't get on the roof to clean your slides before closing them. Sign up for next Septembers rally.

richfaa 09-07-2018 05:41 PM

Just our experience. When we started long timing in 2006 we were not new to Rv,ing or travel. We purchased the biggest 5th wheel we could afford. It was a Montana 3400 and we now have the Montana 3402 40 foot 4 slides.

Retire 2022 09-07-2018 07:21 PM

Welcome to the forum from Texas. We full time and love our 3811ms. Have you looked at the 3950br? The bonus room could be a crafting room? Which ever one you choose the hunting for one is fun...but take your time in order to get the right one the first time with no regrets. Happy Trails and Travels to you and yours.

1retired06 09-07-2018 09:05 PM

If fulltiming is your plan, research carefully. Great fulltime and later Florida snowbirding experiences in all four of our Montana units. No experience with the HC units.

Kyle and Lisa 09-07-2018 09:25 PM

Welcome to the forum.

AZ Traveler 09-07-2018 09:49 PM

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn and share.

Montana Man 09-07-2018 10:24 PM

Don't be afraid to cut the dealer off at the knees with your offer to purchase. There is a ton of markup in these units. If not familiar with pre delivery inspections, take someone who is. Once you work out the warranty issues and misc. bugs, go and wear it out!

BuilderBob 09-07-2018 10:34 PM

Welcome to the MOC from Washington St! Good luck on Montana hunt make sure to do a real good PDI don't give them your money till your happy with the 5er.

MikeRP 09-08-2018 09:14 AM

Awesome bought your Ram 3500! It’s exciting - just picked mine up yesterday! I’m excited -we are looking at the high country 330RL.

Have fun! I’m Headed to Hershey next week to talk with the factory folks on my possible order.

darrylwt 09-09-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette (Post 1115497)
Hi everyone. Jeannette and I have bought a Ram 3500 diesel and are now looking for the right Montana. We like the High Country RL305 just fine. We plan on full timing and any input in that area would be much appreciated.

I had a 2015 305RL HC and I am not a fan of the cable sideouts and pulling on the walls like that and I had a few problems in that area and with the motors so I sold it and I am looking at the Montana 3120RL with hydraulic slides with a new set of problems i am sure after you get the bugs out.. LOL kidding.

D

geobet 09-09-2018 12:16 PM

Welcome to the group from Florida. I have the 310RE and we like the heck out of it! I do all my own maintenance - even when it was under warranty and the 310 has been virtually problem free. I simply don't trust the mechanics at the dealership to do anything right.

Don't let the cable slide out scare you. Some folks get get baffled by them and how to adjust them. IMHO, after working on several hydraulic slide outs for friends and family, I actually prefer the cable slides. Once you understand the concept, adjustments are easy peasy - and I'm 72 years old. They ain't rocket science! As stated before - do a thorough PDI. Its easy to get distracted by all the glitz and glamour - just stay focused and "fingerprint" everything and make sure everything works!!!

darrylwt 09-09-2018 12:45 PM

I agree the cable slide are not hard to work on, on mine I had to replace 3 motors in a year and now there is a issue about oil leaking out of the motor and bubbling the slide roof... My friend heard about the issue and looked at his slide roof and his is leaking and roof is bubbling and his trailer is 3 months old/young and I am sure hydraulics have their own set of problems. I think you can have problems with anything or no problems. Keep up on the maintenance and everything should be fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIvyXVVhRIk

CaptnJohn 09-16-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooth ferry (Post 1115530)
WE really like our 2014 305RL and have had very few problems. Our longest trips have been about a month and there is plenty of room for that length of time but I think if I was going to full time I would like to be closer to a 40 footer. My wife is a crafter and space for her sewing and art would make a bigger living area very nice . You will need 2 ACs, and slide covers are great if you can't get on the roof to clean your slides before closing them. Sign up for next Septembers rally.

My wife is a crafter and painter. We went with the 2017 HC 370BR. The Bonus Room works great as she does not need to use the dining table and has her storage of stuff there. Works great now as we had to evacuate from the beach and have our daughter ~~ she has her room and not sleeping in the living room. Slight change in 2018 but HC builds one with the bonus room still.

Sandra_David 09-16-2018 03:40 PM

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new truck & Montana.
We love our 3850BR, but as previously stated shop, think, and be sure.
Enjoy and happy trials.

saber707 09-16-2018 04:24 PM

We have a 2015 305RL and really like it. I would however, highly recommend that you try to get a residential fridge in it.

StageCoachDriver 09-16-2018 05:35 PM

Wife and I just bought a 2019 305RL. had it on several trips and really like it. Still working out a fer problems (to be expected in a new unit) but so far, we love it. Moved up from a Cougar, also by Keystone. We pull with a GMC 2500 gas with 8 foot bed. Your 3500 diesel should be perfect - hope you have the 8 foot bed.

Kevin318 09-16-2018 06:17 PM

305Rl

I have a 2018 305Rl we love it. No problems so far after 2 months. I plan to full time in it soon I think it has plenty of room for my wife and me. I use a Chev 2500 gas engine and it pulls fine.

Eddiea 09-16-2018 11:04 PM

Alaska

Just getting home from a 3 month trip to Alaska. Our 2016 - 3600 RL held up jest fine rough roads and some gravel. Great trip