Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Additions & Improvements (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Screen Door Mod (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40555)

bobsals 08-06-2010 06:48 AM

Screen Door Mod
 
Greetings, we had a Sunnybrook Fifth Wheel up until this past March when we brought home our new Mountaineer. When we took delivery of the Sunny we (I) kept leaving the little sliding door open when going outside. My wife was always complaining that I was letting the bugs in. So I thought there had to be a better way.(other than close the door) I went to a local hobby shop and bought a length of solid stainless steel wire used in model airplanes to control flaps, ailerons etc. This wire was used because it was small and tough enough to use as a “push rod”. I installed the wire pretty much the same as shown below. My wife said “Now you’re too lazy to open the sliding door!!” I told her I was getting tired of hearing her complain. After installation, it was such a simple idea and worked so well, we soon got very used to using it. When buying the new Mountaineer you will never guess what my wife said… “Can you put the screen door thingy in the new camper?”
Anyway, it was a little more difficult on the new unit because of the design of the aluminum rail. However it got done and now DW is happy. One of the simple things that make life just a little easier. I think most if not all of you that read these postings are “do – it – yourselfers, and would not have much problem making this up if it appeals to you.
The only material I used was the .0785 wire (about 5/64”) that was purchased at the hobby store. You may be able to use coat hanger wire but it might be too soft and flexible. The only other thing I bought was the little red cover which is just a screw protector that was bought at Home Depot. It’s critical that the hole in the upper rail is drilled in the right place. This was done by closing the main door and finding a place to put the wire without interfering with the lock and latch mechanism. In my case it was 3-1/16” over from the end of the rail. I removed the upper rail ( it comes out pretty easy) and drilled a 3/32 hole down through using a drill press. This kept the hole square and in line. Make sure the hole is drilled through the front channel as your sliding plastic door uses the rear channel. See the pics. The handle was removed and drilled at the location where the wire intersected it. The wire was bent at a 90 degree angle where it passes though the handle. I was kind of skeptical of bending the wire after going through the handle in a “Z” fashion to hold it there. I thought the stress on the plastic handle might crack it, but it held up well to the torque applied while bending the wire. Everything was re-assembled. Now when going outside with just the screen door, we just push down on the little red button and no sliding necessary on the plastic door.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2nqwjv5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/bfp95k.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/t5ki1d.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/p93b5.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2wokoex.jpg

jjackflash 08-06-2010 07:14 AM

Camping world has a neat little rubber lever,you drill a small hole in the sliding door than install this devise right over your screen door latch and that's it,cost is 4.99.
In fact it almost looks like the hole is already there,right were that plastic plug is.
If you want me to post a picture,let me know!
Jack

bobsals 08-06-2010 08:06 AM

Jack, thanks for the information. Found it on CW's website now $5.89. It has great customer reviews. A viable alternative to the above.:)

jjackflash 08-06-2010 10:35 AM

No problem Bob,if you go to the store it self the price is 4.99,I just bought one last week.
Jack

jsmitfl 08-06-2010 05:30 PM

A Bicycle spoke works real well and I think they may be stainless

bob n pam 08-07-2010 12:47 PM

Handy dandy!

KTManiac 08-07-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Camping world has a neat little rubber lever,you drill a small hole in the sliding door than install this devise right over your screen door latch and that's it,cost is 4.99.
In fact it almost looks like the hole is already there,right were that plastic plug is.
If you want me to post a picture,let me know!
Jack
I have one of these on our screen door, and I don't like it at all.

In fact, I hate it. I will be doing the bicycle spoke mod soon, and give away the lever and rubber grommet to anyone that is still interested in it after I explain to them why I didn't like it.


CamillaMichael 08-08-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Camping world has a neat little rubber lever,you drill a small hole in the sliding door than install this devise right over your screen door latch and that's it,cost is 4.99.
In fact it almost looks like the hole is already there,right were that plastic plug is.
If you want me to post a picture,let me know!
Jack
I have one of these on our screen door, and I don't like it at all.

In fact, I hate it. I will be doing the bicycle spoke mod soon, and give away the lever and rubber grommet to anyone that is still interested in it after I explain to them why I didn't like it.


So what is it you do not like?

jjackflash 08-08-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Camping world has a neat little rubber lever,you drill a small hole in the sliding door than install this devise right over your screen door latch and that's it,cost is 4.99.
In fact it almost looks like the hole is already there,right were that plastic plug is.
If you want me to post a picture,let me know!
Jack
I have one of these on our screen door, and I don't like it at all.

In fact, I hate it. I will be doing the bicycle spoke mod soon, and give away the lever and rubber grommet to anyone that is still interested in it after I explain to them why I didn't like it.

What do you hate about it?
Jack


PapaBeav 08-08-2010 01:56 PM

I went from the wire like you have to the rubber lever and like it a lot better. Thank you Butch.

KTManiac 08-08-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by jjackflash


What do you hate about it?
Jack


Quote:

quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

So what is it you do not like?
Well, when I first installed it, I carefully calculated the angle of the lever when in the grommet and drilled the hole in the slider. To make a long story longer, when you open the screen door with it, the lever does not return to the same place or angle of the hole in the grommet, so it was still pressing down on the screen door handle not allowing it to latch closed consistently. ...lesson learned.

Phase two:

Drill hole in slider as per the instructions! LOL :D

Now, when inside the 5er with both doors and slider closed, to open the door you have to slide the slider open to get to the outer door lever. Herein lies what I don't like about it, the fancy-dancey screen lever hangs up on the handle of the outer door, and I have to wrestle & fiddle around with it to be able to get it to slide all of the way open to get at the door handle. It just bugs me! I'd rather not have it there at all.

That, and the dogs can now open the screen door with a nudge of the nose against the lever, and let the indoor-only cats out. It's all in their master plan to get rid of the cats. ;)

Bicycle shop, here I come.

jjackflash 08-08-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by jjackflash


What do you hate about it?
Jack


Quote:

quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

So what is it you do not like?
Well, when I first installed it, I carefully calculated the angle of the lever when in the grommet and drilled the hole in the slider. To make a long story longer, when you open the screen door with it, the lever does not return to the same place or angle of the hole in the grommet, so it was still pressing down on the screen door handle not allowing it to latch closed consistently. ...lesson learned.

Phase two:

Drill hole in slider as per the instructions! LOL :D

Now, when inside the 5er with both doors and slider closed, to open the door you have to slide the slider open to get to the outer door lever. Herein lies what I don't like about it, the fancy-dancey screen lever hangs up on the handle of the outer door, and I have to wrestle & fiddle around with it to be able to get it to slide all of the way open to get at the door handle. It just bugs me! I'd rather not have it there at all.

That, and the dogs can now open the screen door with a nudge of the nose against the lever, and let the indoor-only cats out. It's all in their master plan to get rid of the cats. ;)

Bicycle shop, here I come.


As Far as the dogs are concerned,look at my signature pictures.If you look closely above my chocolate Labs head you'll notice the sliding dead bolt on the screen door.
Jack

NCFischers 08-08-2010 11:46 PM

I installed the latch from camping world and it works just fine. We don't have critters that want to escape though.

MuddyPaws 08-13-2010 07:12 PM

Well jjackflash, if it means anything or makes you feel better, after meeting you at Betabel last month we stopped at CW later in the week and bought TWO of them. I Carefully calculate the angle and installed one on our Montana and the other on our friends SOB.

My wife says it's the best $5.00 gadget we've ever added. With luck neither of the retrievers will figure out how to open the door with their noses.

Thanks for the tip!

jjackflash 08-13-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by MuddyPaws

Well jjackflash, if it means anything or makes you feel better, after meeting you at Betabel last month we stopped at CW later in the week and bought TWO of them. I Carefully calculate the angle and installed one on our Montana and the other on our friends SOB.

My wife says it's the best $5.00 gadget we've ever added. With luck neither of the retrievers will figure out how to open the door with their noses.

Thanks for the tip!
Try that dead bolt on the screen door Russ,so far our Labs haven't figured out how to slide it open!
See you at Jackson next year.
Jack

blarkman 08-14-2010 06:28 AM

I got my wire rod at the local hardware store they are the construction flags and cost about .79 cents each and found some plastic caps same place. Yes it does work fine.

PowellsMonty 08-16-2010 07:26 AM

what is this called at Camping World?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.