Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Repairs & Service (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Door latch-locked out (http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79169)

Knot2worry 09-19-2019 07:23 AM

Door latch-locked out

After a wonderful time at rally got back to Madison with no issues. Problems started when I went to get in rig. Unlocked latch and deadbolt with key but was unable to open door. Lately the red lever has been very .loose. All windows locked tight. Do pins come out of hinge to take door off?

Slow Hand 09-19-2019 07:26 AM

I had this happen and lucky for me i was at home. Had to drill out the lock and replace the whole thing. I never tried to do the hinge.

Knot2worry 09-19-2019 08:55 AM

Thanks. I guess theirs a key to take out cylinder and then pull back deadbolt with screwdriver.

Former StClairSailor 09-19-2019 11:30 AM

I had the same issue. I found the screen door misadjusted. When connected to the outside door, the screen door latched and prevented me from opening the outside door. I was able to pry the bottom of the outside door a little with my fingers and pull the door open. I adjusted the screen door so it wouldn't latch while attached to the outside door but would latch when not attached to the outside door. Haven't had an issue since.

beeje 09-19-2019 07:27 PM

As far as I know, there are no pins to remove. The door is screwed or riveted on. There is a lock core removal key to get the cylinder out. Your dealer should be able to do that for you. Our lock was under recall, and they sent me the removal key along with new cores and keys.

Slow Hand 09-20-2019 09:09 AM

I had to use a 3/8's drill. Part of my key broke off in the lock. Got a new handle assembly at my rv supplier.

speedster100 09-20-2019 10:01 AM

On two different trailers I was lucky enough to use a claw hammer and give the handle a pop, the door opened and I found loose screws and screen door alignment issues. never damaged anything...

twindman 09-21-2019 03:22 PM

I had the same thing happen on old trailer (2006). Fortunately the emergency rear window wasn't latched and my (grown) daughter climbed in and used a screwdriver to remove the look. Screws inside had come loose. So now we never lock one of the locks in the door (Hope it is the right one).

CarWin 09-21-2019 10:16 PM

This is exactly why I have gotten rid of the factory handle on our door. I bought a new electronic door handle, and all new tumblers for all our slam latches and even replaced those cheap "751" locks. I now only have 1 key for all my compartments and entry door. I chose my own key code for the new locks too. Replaced them all myself, with the removal tool.

Heres where I bought our new locks and handle set from.... rvlocksandmore.com Quick shipping and great customer service. Priced better than anyone else I priced them from.

Wheelhouse 09-25-2019 03:41 PM

This happened to me also. What I did was to open the passenger storage bay and pull stuff out to get access to the laundry basket. I pushed the basket up for the trap door to open and pushed the screen basket out of the way. Crawled through the hatch and was able to unlock the door from the inside.
From there, I was able to door lock repairs as needed.
I hope this helps someone in the future.
Happy Trails

Twopetes 09-25-2019 04:07 PM

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have heard about people getting locked in or out. We did not like the original lock - plus the dealer lost the keys so we opted for a replacement from RV LOCK. It is electric with a keypad and remote. It has keys. Plus we never lock the handle just the dead bolt. Seems like a real solid lock. Also agree with CarWin. No 751 locks on the Monti - I replaced the ones on the front storage and battery compartments with barrel locks. Our basement locks are KENCON and not the 751 keys. They are solid.

beeje 09-25-2019 06:39 PM

I do not care what kind of lock/cylinders you have on your compartment/entry doors, or what keys open them, if anyone wants in, a screw driver and 2 seconds will get them in....

All that is going to accomplish is more damage to your trailer from them tying to get in.

SterlingSilver 09-25-2019 07:19 PM

Couldn't get in to our rig one cold night in New Orleans. Called our Good Sam Road Service and they sent out a lock smith within the hour. He picked the lock in minutes and got us in. We used the other lock, only, for the rest of the trip. At home, we disassembled the bad cylinder and reassembled it. It never malfunctioned again.

mtlakejim 09-25-2019 07:33 PM

We recently had a similar issue. Unlocked door, went inside and left keys, closed door. Then the door would not open. Fortunately had a spare key and was able to unlock the door again. We are considering the electronic locks now.

I agree on same key for all the storage compartments would be a good move for Keystone to make. So would making all the compartments ONE HAND opening. Real pain to have to put down whatever is in your hands to open BOTH the latches and compartment!!!!!!!

CarWin 10-13-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtlakejim (Post 1161071)
We recently had a similar issue. Unlocked door, went inside and left keys, closed door. Then the door would not open. Fortunately had a spare key and was able to unlock the door again. We are considering the electronic locks now.

I agree on same key for all the storage compartments would be a good move for Keystone to make. So would making all the compartments ONE HAND opening. Real pain to have to put down whatever is in your hands to open BOTH the latches and compartment!!!!!!!

IF you are serious about the electronic locks and replacing all your slam latch locks to a single key system....I recommend RVLOCKSANDMORE.com!

I bought their products and believe it to be better quality than its competitors items.( I helped a friend install a competing lock, thus my opinion, and reason for where I chose to purchase from.) Great customer service and quick/easy to deal with.